Friday 15 August 2008

Leeds City Art Gallery




I took a trip to the Leeds City Art Gallery this morning, which has been refurbished and got several new pieces since I last visited. I think the refurbish has been a big success, it has given the gallery a new lease of the life and the clean, white walls not only make the paintings stand out more but also extenuate the wonderful architecture of the building that houses them. Unlike some art galleries I have visited at Leeds, what ever your taste, you are sure to find a section that apples to you with work ranging from illustration, photography, modern, Victorian painting and sculpture. Work comes from all over the world (not just Europe) and the exhibitions regularly change work from both local artists and pieces, which are loaned by larger galleries such as the National Portrait Gallery or Tate. I even visited a special exhibition put on by one of my old college tutors a few years ago.

If you are in Leeds I’d definitely recommend visiting the gallery (which is free), there is always a relaxed and friendly atmosphere, its never to busy to stop and appreciate of sketch the work on display (see some of my sketches above) and you don’t feel like you have to be an expert to enjoy the work – there are even plenty of staff to answer any questions.

No comments: